Thursday, July 31, 2008

On having a tarantula for a smoking companion

We live in 'sanitised', poured concrete alien landscapes, unconnected to the earth. The only vegetation we come across are confined to pots, and carefully manicured gardens, with plants of 'our choice', in fumigated surroundings. When I step out of this-world we confine ourselves in, two things strike me. One, green is the most predominant color in this world, and two, insects are the most diverse of nature's children. Mosquitoes, beetles, spiders, butterflies, caterpillars, silk worms, lizards, and a million others, that in my ignorance cannot put a name to.

I stayed a week at my aunts in Trivandrum, in the company of my aunt and grandmother. It was a close confinement, and the only privacy I had was when I chose to sleep outside on the swing - 'Aattu Kattil' (Aattu - swinging; kattil - bed). I had to use the toilet out the back at night, as I would be locked out. I primarily used it for rolling and smoking my nightly mixture. The first night I stepped into this elaborate spider web built across the door, in a bid to catch anything that came in. Needless to say I destroyed most of it that day. Over the next week, I got acquainted with the architect of the silken thread, a tarantula. I do not know if an entomologist, would classify it as a tarantula, but it was big and hairy, and hence I use the word 'Tarantula' as a proper noun, in my human nature's compulsive need to name/label things. Incidentally the only entomologist who comes to mind is the Japanese guy in Teshigara's movie Woman of the Dunes, who metaphorically gets imprisoned in a sand pit that he cant get out of!

I've thought about what Tarantula thought of me, who intruded to create a few minutes of intoxicating environment every night. It was a daily ritual to try and find a way inside, without getting trapped in the web, and trying not to destroy it either. I looked into each of its eight eyes, eight windows into its insect brain, attempting communication. What a stange world it must live in! Did my Tarantula friend see different aspects of the same thing, or does it see more detail of the same aspect, with its eight eyes? Or did simply see the bare minimum it needs of this world that it requires to survive?

2 comments:

AB Van Kenabi said...

Ah, it is said that spiders weave a web of spectacular perfection under influence...or so to speak 'the perfect web'...

Did u get the chance to see that? or were u too selfish and denied your companion any of the snuff?

Anonymous said...

I can without the slightest bit of doubt say that never am will you find me anywhere in the vicinity of that toilet:-)). Glad to see you posting- hope to ¨getoffmyarse¨and do the same